Which seed catalog is the best one? That really depends on the gardener and what they are looking to grow. Seed companies exist with many different combinations of products from vegetables and herbs to flowering and ornamental plants. Most companies offer a wide assortment of seeds but there are a few that specialize in only a couple types of seeds like tomatoes or peppers. There is a seed catalog out there for everyone!
When choosing which company to order your seeds from look for non-GMO seeds. Companies that have sought to avoid GMO seeds have what is called the "Safe-Seed Pledge." They are taking in active role in avoiding the purchase of GMO seeds. I won't get into the specifics of why you should avoid GMO seeds as that is a rather large topic for discussion. I'll save that conversation for another day.
You also can get seeds from friends or save them yourselves. The only issue with these seeds is the resulting plant may have some variations from the original unless extra care was taken to avoid cross-pollination. Seeds saved from hybrids do not produce reliable offspring and aren't the best source for seed saving. Stick with heirlooms for seed saving for the most reliable results.
Below I will list a some of the most reputable seed companies around that I am VERY comfortable in recommending. The seed companies that I use frequently are marked (*). I will also add to this list from time to time so feel free to bookmark it and check back periodically. Also if there are any you would like to recommend please mention them in the comments. A couple of the links below are affiliate links and I greatly appreciate your support of GrowingTheHomeGarden.com!
Don't forget to check out a few of these garden seed posts for more information on growing plants from seed.
A Directory of Quality Seed Companies
- Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds* - heirlooms, herbs, and a few types of flower seeds. GREAT catalog with photographs you will drool over!
- Botanical Interests* - Great seeds and very informative packets with hand drawn art. They have an organic line of seeds which is a great option. I order garlic from them every fall and use their organic line of greens frequently.
- Johnny's Select Seeds* - A great company with a great reputation across the industry!
- Renee's Garden* - Renee has some fantastic seeds which include heirlooms, herbs, and flowers. There is also an organic line available.
- Seed Saver's Exchange - A non-profit seed saving organization that is dedicated to saving open-pollinated and heirloom seeds.
- High Mowing Seeds - 100% Organic seed. Vegetables, herbs, and flowers. They also have cover crops that can be very useful for soil building.
- Sustainable Seed Company - Organic seeds and heirlooms.
- Marianna's Heirloom Seeds - A Tennessee resident who specializes in heirloom, open-pollinated, and naturally grown seeds.