How to Root Schip Laurels (Prunus laurocerasus 'Schipkaensis')
For Schip laurels I like to take greenwood cuttings in the summertime. Taking cuttings is very simple and will result in a rooted cutting in about 4-6 weeks.
- Take a 6 inch cutting with about 3-4 nodes.
- Remove all but the top two leaves.
- Dip the cut end in rooting hormone.
- Place in a container of rooting medium (here I used sand).
- Keep the medium moist and wait for rooting.
- Check in about 4 weeks to see if there are roots by giving a little tug on the cutting. If there is resistance you may have roots.
- Pot or plant the rooted cutting.
After I potted up my cuttings I placed them with some hydrangea cuttings on my front porch to acclimate to the weather.
What evergreens have you propagated?